Exclusive Artist Interview: LDRU
The inaugural Touch Bass tour will hit Australia across the major cities in April featuring a selection of huge bass acts like Jauz, Slushii and Snails. Alongside this esteemed selection of international acts is local ’trap-ical’ lord LDRU, who is definitely on par with the international acts when it comes to production prowess. We caught up with the Sydney-native for a quick chat ahead of the start of the tour.
1. Hey LDRU, thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions! You’ve got the Touch Bass tour coming up with Jauz, Snails and Slushii. How are you preparing for the tour? Will you have any surprises up your sleeve?
I’m currently writing some new tunes for the show. They wouldn’t be surprises if I told you!
2. Staying with Touch Bass, who’s your favourite act on the lineup and why?
I don’t really have a favourite as everyone is awesome at what they do, but I’m super excited for Slushii and Luude because I’ve never seen them before.
3. Congratulations on hitting #68 in the Triple J’s Hottest 100 with ‘Next To You’! Did you know it was going to be a hit when you wrote it? We heard whispers of an upcoming album… Can you spread a few rumours?
Thank you very much! I love every song I write pretty equally so I would have to say no, but I was pleasantly surprised with how well it went. It’s more a big EP than an album. What I can say is that there is a collaboration in there thats starts with S…
4. You’ve been playing some pretty sweet shows lately which included Falls, Southbound and Field Day. What’s one of the best moments you’ve had on tour?
Catching a fake baby on stage for sure! That’s my claim to fame from Mountain Sounds a few years back.
5. You’re an Australian native, what’s your favourite thing to do when you’re not writing or on tour? Any shout outs to bars or clubs in Sydney?
Have a beer with friends, surf and get back to the studio with some Battlefield in between. A definite shout out Oxford Art Factory for getting my career started.
6. So, 2016 was pretty huge, what have you got planned for the rest of your 2017?
We’ve got the Bass in the Grass show’s up north alongside the Big Pineapple Festival then off to America for Splash House, Hard and most likely some house parties in between .
7. Who do you look up to in the scene and who are your top three artists at the moment?
Skrillex, Diplo and Flume. A bit of a cliche I know, but I’ve been following these guys ever since I started listening to dance music.
8. If you could play any track to any crowd in the world, what would it be and where you play it?
The Australian Anthem at EDC Las Vegas
9. Finally, you recently remixed PNAU’s track ‘Chameleon’ which was huge! Who is out there that you’d (a) love to collaborate with and (b) love to remix?
Thanks, I would love to collaborate with Childish Gambino and remix Maggie Rogers
10. When was the last time you ate something reeeal good and what was it?
I cooked a home made pumpkin soup the other night… google it make your own and add tabasco.