When it comes to hard work, very few artists can top Miami’s favourite duo GTA. The boys have not only conquored the biggest festivals and clubs the world has to offer, but churned out solid release after solid release on a range of the biggest labels including Warner Bros., Spinnin’, Musical Freedom, MixMash, Fool’s Gold, Mad Decent and OWSLA to name a few.
Thanks to BBE, this October will see GTA hit Australian and New Zealand shores for an all-out assault of bass and the very best electronic music has to offer. We caught up with Julio and Matt to hear their top 5 most memorable/funny/favourite moments they’ve had in Australia and boy did they stand out.
Julio, Matt.. thanks for your time!
Thanks for having us!
We haven’t got much time today, I understand you guys are very busy and just played a show.
Yes, we just finished a show at Heart in Miami alongside Craze and Ape Drums.
Sounds like an energetic show! Ok, so down to business. So you guys have been to Australia a few times now. What would be your top five most memorable moments here in the land down under?
(1) The first time we went to tour Australia it was part of Rihanna’s “Diamonds World Tour.” In Melbourne her team had rented out a local bowling alley and she came out to party with all of us. She actually picked Julio to be on her bowling team and we just hung out all night! haha. Definitely one of the more unexpected yet totally amazing moments out in Australia!
(2) Just a few months later we were on Stereosonic and we got to hang out with the Hardfest crew! It was SO much fun and my birthday (Julio) was right around that same time, December 8th. We were also part of a Fan Meet & Greet House Party that Hard had set up in Sydney. Pretty much all of the artists from the festival came and we did a massive B2B2B. RL Grime & What So Not played as well and they actually debuted their track “Tell Me” that they had just finished making earlier that day!
(3) We produce a lot on the road, so during our third Australia tour we decided to get a studio in Sydney (with the help from the homies Anand & Jess at BBE). It was dope to get to work out of a studio so far from home. We finished a couple remixes including our remix of “Crookers – I Just Can’t”. We also made a lot of the initial ideas for our album “Good Times Ahead” in that same studio!
(4) On our last trip in December 2016 we were part of the Hard Australia tour with Rezz, Ghastly, Destructo, & Zeds Dead! During this trip we happened to rediscover all of the old Pendulum albums (Wow are they incredible! haha) and it helped inspire me to make our collab with YellowClaw – Hold On ! That track just came out on their latest album a few months ago!
(5) We will be making the last unforgettable moment on the upcoming tour with all of you guys!! We’re so incredibly stoked to be heading back down under especially with all of this new music we’ve been working on!! We will definitely be bringing the Good Times Ahead!
Guys it’s been quick, but a pleasure and we can’t wait to see your shows.
Thanks for having us!
GTA’s Aus/NZ tour officially kicks off October 20 at Brisbane’s Eatons Hill Hotel, before heading to Mackay, Auckland, Sydney and rounding out the tour in Adelaide. Tickets are selling fast, with all cities set to sell out very soon. Join OZ EDM at the Sydney show and purchase your tickets online today.